CEDS 4.0 https://ceds.ed.gov/Default.aspx, rsch partnerships, K is the new 1st, pre-K is hot- 8 links plus a survey of DREs that can pay your dues: DRE’s ED News for K12 Researchers -- http://bit.ly/18mG3K1

posted Feb 2, 2014, 8:45 AM by Joe o'reilly

This week’s edition of ED News for K12 Researchers can be found at http://bit.ly/18mG3K1

What does program evaluation look like in school districts?

Much different than at research labs and universities I would think.

It would be interesting to know what we are all doing.

 

You are invited to complete a survey on program evaluation in your district from researchers at Johns Hopkins. Taking the 15 minute survey will pay your DRE dues for a year. To take the survey click here:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LEAProgEval

 

 

From DRE David Weinberger in Yonkers NY:  A new resource is available with the release of Version 4: CEDS Extend. Now users can view NCES Handbook data elements alongside CEDS elements as part of the CEDS searchable data elements and the Domain Entity Schema.  Also included in this release are 15 tutorials on using CEDS Align and Connect as well as an expanded list of publications describing
how to use CEDS (and more examples are coming). Version 4 of CEDS can be found at the CEDS website:  http://ceds.ed.gov

Annie E. Casey Fndtn finds low reading scores http://www.aecf.org/

Amanda Ripley replies to critics – low Pisa performance is not all because of poverty  http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/book-club-poverty-doesn-t-explain-poor-american-school-performance

 OK, you didn’t check out the ELS 2002 report released by IES, so the Atlantic summarizes for you where the Class of 2002 is now http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/highly-educated-highly-indebted-the-lives-of-todays-27-year-olds-in-charts/283263/

Building effective LEA-researcher partnerships  http://educationnorthwest.org/news/3594

Welcome to our world higher ed  http://hechingerreport.org/content/tests-to-get-into-college-now-being-followed-by-tests-to-get-out_14153/

Brookings on policies to close gaps  http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2014/01/27-gaps-in-early-childhood-school-readiness-achievement#

 We’re not in high school anymore, Toto   "Learning the Ropes: How Freshmen Conduct Course Research Once They Enter College," http://projectinfolit.org/

Teacher policies state by state  http://www.nctq.org/statePolicy/statePolicyHomeNew.do

Its official, the ECLS: fed data shows kindergarten is the new first grade  http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/inside-school-research/2014/01/is_kindergarten_the_new_first.html

Expanding school time to support common core (easier said than done)   http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/education/report/2014/01/31/81861/redesigning-and-expanding-school-time-to-support-common-core-implementation/

I am an effective teacher (96%) and so are my colleagues (89%) (ed note: the remaining 11% are in the grade below who didn’t prepare my students), but education is still failing (54%), and parents need to do more (89%). http://www.schoolimprovement.com/company/news/state-of-education-survey-results/

USED’s blog on promising practices in districts and states  http://www.ed.gov/edblogs/progress/

Forbes on why league tables (school rankings) may be good for achievement  http://ht.ly/tbcZB

NYT has 3 Op-eds on pre-K, Obama shout out in the SOTU speech - the topic seems to be trending  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/opinion/kristof-pre-k-the-great-debate.html?hp&rref=opinion   http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/opinion/collins-how-preschool-got-hot.html?hp&rref=opinion   http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/opinion/how-to-get-more-early-bloomers.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Lagniappe:  Can you blame that bad decision on your brain?  http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/28/grass-greener-brain-research-lateral-frontal-pole?CMP=twt_gu

There is all this and lots more in our weekly edition -- http://bit.ly/18mG3K1

Comments